It is spring, life is busy.
At a meeting last year, the hotel had limited (translate no) options for vegans.
I found a pea hummus at a local natural foods store.
It was light, tasty, full of protein and could be used as a dip or a sandwich spread.
I was hooked. On return to Vermont, I couldn't find it anywhere.
Here's the closest I've gotten ..
Sweet Pea Spread
2 1/2 cups frozen petit peas, thawed
(if fresh are available, cook them in lightly salted water til tender, then shock them)
1/2 onion sauteed over low heat til translucent (do not carmelize
1 tsp agave nectar
1/3 cup fresh herbs (my favorite is 1 part mint and 2 parts parsley)
Juice of 1 lemon, plus half the zest
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp beau monde seasoning
1/4 tsp cumin
Salt and white pepper to taste
Place the ingredients in blender. Whirl to combine. Add a little water to loosen or a few more white beans if too moist.
Great served on toasted white wheat baguette slices topped with chopped cherry tomatoes in a little olive oil and a few sweet pea tendrils or sprouts.
No comments:
Post a Comment